Pratapgad is one of three most famous forts of Shivaji Maharaj (other two being Raigad and Rajgad).
In famous Battle of Pratapgad, Shivaji Maharaj killed Afzal Khan and defeated his army despite being outnumbered.
Pratapgad is privately owned by Chhatrapati Udayan Raje Bhosale who is descendant of Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj.
- Adilshahi General Afzal Khan was killed by Shivaji Maharaj on 10 Nov 1659.
Shivaji Maharaj also settled a personal score with Afzal Khan as
Afzal Khan had previously killed Shivaji Maharaj's brother in a battle treacherously.
- Shivaji Maharaj doubled his territory within fifteen days of the Battle of Pratapgad.
- With this remarkable and decisive victory Maratha Empire emerged as Significant Regional power.
- Pratpgad used to host Diwan-e-Khas during the time of Shivaji Maharaj.
- Due to surrounded dense forest, no enemy dared to attack the fort in the time of Shivaji Maharaj and Sambhaji Maharaj.